This article was found on the internet, it’s content is readily available, and widely known.
Vaccination comes with a lot of unintended consequences … even more than you might have thought of.
You can read a lot of articles on this site about the risks and possible adverse effects of vaccinating your dog … from autoimmune disease or cancers to seizures, thyroid disease, allergies, digestive issues and even death.
But there are other vaccine dangers that may surprise you.
These may not be the risks you commonly consider when you make vaccination decisions for your dog … but they’re an important factor in understanding the hazards of vaccination … and they can affect your dog!
So read on to learn about our top 5 unexpected vaccine dangers that can increase the risks of vaccinating your dog.
#1 Rabies Baits Bite Back
The governments of the US and Canada drop rabies baits across rural areas in both countries in an effort to prevent rabies in wildlife. These ORV (oral rabies vaccine) baits are coated with fishmeal to entice animals to eat them, and packaged in little cubes or sachets. They’re dropped from planes and helicopters every year.
You may think this is a good idea as nobody wants rabid wildlife hanging around their neighborhood. But there are risks with these baits. The USDA (US Department of Agriculture) claims they’re “safe for more than 60 different species of animals, including domestic dogs and cats.” They say that if your dog eats a lot of the baits, he might get an upset stomach but “no long-term health risks.“
But can that really be true? Here’s the problem.
The vaccines in the baits are recombinant vaccinia-rabies glycoprotein. Recombinant means two viruses are spliced together. So, in addition to the rabies virus, these baits also carry vaccinia, the immunizing agent used in smallpox vaccines. This combination of two viruses is a genetically modified vaccine and it can create some risks.
The main risk is that oral rabies baits contain live virus vaccines. In theory, recombining the live virus with the smallpox virus creates a weakened strain of rabies and doesn’t allow true infection. If the animal who eats the bait is healthy, his body should form an immune response to the vaccine and he’s vaccinated against rabies.
But if the animal is in a weakened state when he eats the bait, it’s quite likely that either the vaccine will fail, or it will create the disease it was intended to protect against … yes, rabies. And to make matters worse, the genetically engineered virus can jump species and can be spread by aerosolization … meaning no bite is needed for one of these infected animals to spread the disease.
#2 Virus Shedding Is Virus Sharing
Many vaccines given to dogs are modified live virus (MLV) vaccines. MLV vaccines are used because they stimulate cell-mediated immunity better than killed viruses. Examples are distemper, adeovirus-2 (hepatitis, canine respiratory virus), parvovirus, intranasal bordetella, intranasal coronavirus and parainfluenza.
These vaccines can be shed in feces and urine for weeks after vaccination. Studies on dogs vaccinated with CPV-2 parvovirus show that the virus can remain in the blood stream and be shed via feces for as long as three to four weeks after vaccination.
This means these diseases can be spread through vaccination. Think about the dog who gets a bordetella shot a few days before going to stay at a boarding kennel. He’ll be shedding the disease for up to 7 weeks after vaccination … exposing every other dog at the facility to kennel cough.
The other problem is that MLV vaccines can make your dog ill. When MLV vaccines are given to animals with compromised immune systems they can cause a weakened form of the virus they’re supposed to protect against. Even the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) admits this, stating, “Since it is a truly live virus of a disease that we are trying to prevent, there is a small risk that the inactive virus can revert into the true form of the virus.”
Holistic veterinarian Patricia Jordan DVM explains that the leptospira organism can become a source of infection for humans in contact with a dog vaccinated for leptospirosis. Dr Jordan has personally witnessed several cases in which she had no doubt that a leptospirosis vaccine was the cause of subclinical infection in a dog and therefore could be transmitted to a human.
Dr Jordan says: “Leptospira can and will shed in a vaccinated dog and in turn, infect any humans living in the same household!”
When a duck hunter contracted leptospirosis in California, the state’s field study didn’t find any leptospira in the bodies of water he frequented. This strongly suggests that the man became infected through transmission of the leptospira from his vaccinated dog.
#3 Retroviruses Can Be Deadly
Retroviruses in vaccines can have lethal effects. Retroviruses occur because viruses in vaccines are grown on living tissue, and they’re often from other species. That’s how monkey viruses (like SV-40 in polio vaccines, described below) are passed on to humans through vaccination. Dogs are also exposed to retroviruses through their vaccines.
Canine parvovirus suddenly appeared around the world in 1978 and is now widely considered to have come from the feline panleukopenia virus (FPV). At some point, the distemper vaccine was grown on cat kidney cells … from cats infected with FPV. The distemper vaccine was injected into dogs and the numbers of parvovirus cases began to explode.
Holistic veterinarian Deva Khalsa VMD explains how she witnessed this when she was at veterinary school …
“When I entered veterinary school in 1976, parvovirus disease in dogs didn’t exist. There were no parvovirus cases at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine until 1978.”
That’s when Dr Khalsa observed case after case of canines with life-threatening, bloody diarrhea admitted into ICU to be placed under 24 hour care on supportive IV fluids.”Parvo type 2 virus appeared simultaneously around the world and killed hundreds of millions of dogs in Australia, Europe, Asia and the US. At the time of the outbreak, this brand spanking new disease didn’t seem to be spreading from one dog to another. World health professionals wondered how the disease could be traveling around the world so quickly. They found their answer: in vaccines.”
The new disease was being delivered to dogs in their regular booster shots. Batches of vaccines had been shipped to veterinarians all over the world. In those days the booster shot would have been for distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis and parainfluenza, with noparvovirus; there was no such thing as DHLPP.
In 2010, researchers in Scotland and Japan isolated a feline retrovirus in both dog and cat vaccines. (Isolation of an Infectious Endogenous Retrovirus in a Proportion of Live Attenuated Vaccines for Pets, Journal of Virology, April 2010, p. 3690-3694, Vol. 84, No. 7.)
The authors stated …
Collectively, our data show unequivocally that RD-114 is present in live attenuated vaccines commonly used in dogs and cats from different continents and produced by three different manufacturers […] the large-scale exposure to RD-114, particularly of the dog population, may have effects that are impossible to predict even if successful RD-114 transmission was an extremely rare event.
In US Dog World in March 1995, Dr Jean Dodds discussed the implication of retrovirus contamination in dog vaccines…
“Immune-suppressant viruses of the retrovirus and parvovirus classes have recently been implicated as causes of bone marrow failure, immune-mediated blood diseases, hematologic malignancies (lymphoma and leukemia), dysregulation of humoral and cell-mediated immunity, organ failure (liver, kidney) and autoimmune endocrine disorders – especially of the thyroid gland (thyroiditis), adrenal gland (Addison’s disease) and pancreas (diabetes).”
The case of the SV-40 monkey virus being found in polio vaccines is well known … experts determined that between 1954 and 1963, more than 100 million people worldwide were exposed to SV-40 through vaccination. SV-40 has been found in brain tumors, bone cancers, lung cancers and leukemia.
#4 Virus Mutation Spreads Disease
Viruses can mutate, allowing them to spread more easily. One example is the CPV-2 canine parvovirus, the most common form of parvo seen in dogs.
Dr Patricia Jordan explains…
“There are two canine parvoviruses: canine parvovirus-1 and canine parvovirus-2. CPV-2 is the primary cause of the puppy enteritis that we commonly see. Over the years, parvo has mutated from CPV-2 to CPV-2b to CPV-2c. It seems that dogs may be getting the ultimate revenge on cats: the CPV-2c strain of parvovirus is now crossing species and infecting cats with another brand new virus.”
This happens with human viruses too. Polio is a case in point … in Nigeria, the polio vaccine is mutating and the World Health Organization blames unvaccinated children. The WHO claims that the virus in the water supplies (passed by vaccinated children) is supposedly safe but is picked up and mutated by unvaccinated children, becoming a new virulent strain that is infecting both vaccinated and unvaccinated children.
National Public Radio has recently published a story about this phenomenon … Mutant Strains Of Polio Vaccine Now Cause More Paralysis Than Wild Polio.